WW- We can safely assume that almost all of us are familiar with this. World Wide Web (www) is the information space where documents can be accessed using the Internet. Internet Hosting has many types. One of such types is Web Hosting. Web Hosting is also an integral part of our daily activities via the internet. Through the web hosting service on World Wide Web, individuals, as well as organizations, can make their websites accessible. Hope you will enjoy this Web Hosting Guide.
Web Hosting Guide For Beginners
What Are Web Hosts?
The companies that provide internet connectivity, server space in a data center, which they can either own or take on a lease or internet connectivity or data center space for other servers located in their data center is called web host. Housing is the term used for the last category of web hosts in France or Latin America.
Types Of Web Hosting
Some specific types of hosting provided by web host service providers:
There are two types of web hosting services available – Small Hosting Services & Large Hosting Services
Small Hosting Services
This is the most basic kind of web hosting service and also known as single page hosting. The key features of such hosting service are
- Files can be uploaded via Web Interface or FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
- Files are delivered on the web without much processing.
- A large number of ISPs (Internet Service Providers) give their subscribers this service for free.
- The option of obtaining services from alternate service providers is also available for organizations or individual.
- Sufficient for personal web pages.
- Although free, small hosting services are dependent on an advertisement for revenue.
Large Hosting Services
Bigger businesses or companies require staying connected to the web to provide product detail, service detail, send email or files, etc. This makes the site much more complicated and calls for an all-inclusive package. The package should provide application development programs (ASP.NET, Java EE, etc.) and database support.
There are various types of hosting services which give all the necessary facilities required by the companies.
Shared Web Hosting Service Key Features
Ranging from a few sites to a hundred of websites, all the websites are placed on the same server.
- All domains may share a common server resource like a CPU or RAM.
- Basic service and no regular updates with rigid software requirement.
- Option to resell available and opted by many.
Reseller Web Hosting Key Features
- Clients become web hosts.
- Depending upon their affiliation as a reseller, resellers can function for an individual domain.
- Huge Variation in the size of reseller accounts.
- When resellers become web hosts, they can have their own VDS (Virtual Dedicated Server) and provide similar services as their own provider’s shared hosting plan with the proper technical support, that too on their own.
Virtual Dedicated Server Key Features –
- It is also known as VPS (Virtual Private Server).
- It divides server resources into virtual servers.
- A VPS container can be moved between servers.
- Two types of VPS servers
Managed Servers – Server admin tasks to customers are provided by VPS provider, or
Unmanaged Servers – Customers patch and maintain a server on their own.
Dedicated Hosting Service Key Features
- Full control of the Web Server with the user.
- The user doesn’t own the server.
- Client or user is responsible for the security and maintenance of his server.
Managed Hosting Service Key Features
- The user gets their server.
- Users are not allowed to control the web server fully.
- However, User can manage their data through management tools like FTP, etc.
- The user doesn’t own the server. The server is leased to the user.
- Provide provides quality service through controlling the modification and configuration of the server.
Colocation Web Hosting Service Key Features
- Most expensive and powerful web hosting service.
- The user owns the colo server.
- The host company manages the server and provides the physical server space.
- User required administering site data center for hardware changes or upgrades.
- Hosting Companies only provide storage facility, internet access, and electrical services for the server.
- Hosting Companies now require standard system upgrades and rack mount enclosures.
Cloud Hosting Key Features –
- Cloud hosting has utility billing and load-balanced servers.
- Cloud hosting is reliable, scalable and powerful.
- Because cloud hosting is decentralized, local power disruptions or even natural disasters are less problematic for cloud hosted sites.
- The biggest benefit of cloud hosting is that the user only has to pay for the resources consumed.
- Users may find it difficult to locate their data due to decentralization and cause data and security concerns.
Clustered Hosting Key Features –
- Through Clustered hosting, the same content can be hosted on multiple servers for better resource utilization.
- Due to the multiple benefits to the mass managing of clients, web hosts use clustered hosting for their shared hosting plans.
- The solution for high-availability dedicated hosting or creating a scalable web hosting solution.
Grid Hosting Key Features –
- A form of disturbed hosting.
- Server cluster acts as a grid.
- The server cluster is composed of multiple nodes.
Home Server Key Features –
- Hosted on a single machine placed in a residence.
- Can be used to host from a consumer-grade broadband connection.
- One or more than one websites can be hosted.
Apart from all these, now there are user specific hosting services which are used. Some of them are-
- File hosting service
- Image hosting service
- Video hosting service
- Blog hosting service
- Paste bin
- Shopping cart software
- E-mail hosting service
Management of Host –
Some hosting service providers also give a control panel or interface for installing scripts modules and service applications like e-mail and also for managing the Web Server. You often must have come across a term “headless server”. A headless server is a web server that doesn’t use an interface for host account management.
Points To Look For In Perfect Webhost –
Uptime – Uptime referred to the amount of time when the system was online. It doesn’t take the “reach” factor into consideration. Keep this important factor in mind when looking for a web host service provider.
Scheduled Downtime – Every site requires a certain time off for maintenance. Do make sure that the maintenance time is mentioned I the SLA (Service Level Agreement). Most hosting providers will guarantee at least 99.9% uptime which will allow for 43m of downtime per month or 8h 45m of downtime per year.
Reliability – Do proper research and go for the most trusted and reliable option available in the market at that given time.
Requirements of Application – Many applications require database server software, scripting software and operating system. As a customer, you need to evaluate the demands of the application and choose wisely.
Security – When considering which web hosting provider a customer should choose, the level of security that a web hosting service offers is critical. This is because they are relinquishing to the company that is hosting the site the control of the security of their site.
Backup – Your ideal web hosting service provider should give you an adequate backup. Find out what your plan is to ensure that they are backing up their backups, for your disaster recovery.
How To Monitor Your Web Host –
Every normal office has an inspection team which performs the task of going through the working of every part of the organization and gives its report and suggestion. Like every office, you need an inspection committee too if you the owner of a website. To monitor the working of your website there are several tools that help you analyze the performance of your web hosting provider. Some of the most popular tools for the same are listed below.
Most of the DNSstuff tools are either free of charge or cost only a small amount and are convenient too. To help you to think whether you need a particular service to up your website, DNSstuff offers a free trial.
Who is Hosting This –
You can check what hosting provider is hosting a particular site through this tool by simply typing the domain name.
Netcraft is a data and analytics company that also has an uptime website monitor. You can just simply type any domain name, and it will give you the following information –
- Server information
- IP address
- And in some instances a reboot graph.
You will have to recheck the data given on the site as data in some articles is extremely outdated.
YouGetSignal.com has a valuable collection of excellent tools to analyze a hosting provider. Some of them are-
- Reverse IP Domain Check – Helps to find other hosted websites.
- WHOIS lookup- Owner of the domain.
- Visual Trace Route – Location of the host server for a website.
By just typing the domain name or IP address, SamSpade.org gives you access to domain expiration, name servers, contact information, etc.
GeoTool is designed keeping the user in focus and mind. Through GeoTool you can –
- Location of hosting of all the online businesses.
- Details of the Server Location.
- IP Address of the server.
- ISP of the server
- The region of the server.
Top Web Hosting Companies Overall
We consider the best website hosting providers to be the ones who deliver the most value to the customer. Now, the value can take many forms —
- Uptime reliability matched with incredible support.
- An all-around exceptional user experience.
- Maximum resources for minimal cost.
- The best hosting companies do it all.
Like many other affordable web hosts eHost include many free amenities in their shared hosting plans as the shared hosting customers don’t want to pay a dime for the less than 35,000 site visitors they receive in a month. Perks of having eHost as your shared hosting web host are –
- A Free Domain.
- $200 of Free Advertising to give your organization the initially needed push.
- Unlimited Site Traffic, Storage, and Emails.
For those owners of websites who are ambitious and are experiencing an up rise in their site traffic, it’s important to sustain and build on the initial success. A good VPS host like InMotion helps to that through
- 20 times faster hosting through free SSDs
- Snapshot rollbacks for instant reversion
- High availability based on the cloud.
- High-Quality Hardware
- Impressive Uptime Rate and performance enhancing resources.
Best Dedicated Hosting – InMotion
For websites which expect a significant traffic or number of visitors, an entire server solely dedicated to hosting their one, or many, site(s) is an essential and requirement. InMotion again is the best amongst the lot as it provides –
- Ultra-reliable Support
- Leading-Market Hardware
- 9999% Uptime
- A Redundant Network
Best Web Hosting for Small Business
For Growth – SiteGround
Web hosting is an important investment for a small business. HostGator is the best web host for the growth of small businesses as – You grab the special siteground coupon here.
- Easy update and Maintenance of the look.
- Marketing resources for attracting site visitors.
- Hardware that’s going to keep you online and open for business.
- User-friendly site builder.
- No contract commitment.
- Unlimited storage, emails, and site traffic.
For you to move upwards from shared hosting to dedicated hosting, HostGator is there at every step of the way to help you grow more.
Best Web Hosting Guide For Premier Customer Support: Siteground
Reliability and support are kings when it comes to hosting for business and Siteground delivers the same to provide –
- Unique technology to actively monitor their servers.
- Prevent downtime in real time.
- Custom software for live chat and support ticketing.
Best Cloud Hosting – InMotion
You need to consider cloud hosting if you want to talk scaling. InMotion is the most favored Web host for this most difficult to explain hosting because –
- High availability on-demand.
- Pay-as-you-go resources.
- Performance-enhancing SSDs.
- Free data backups.
- Managed server options.
Benefits of Choosing The “Right” Web Hosting –
Online Storage & File Sharing
A good web host provides you the easiest way to create online workspaces, share documents, photos and files and collaborates with others securely. Each Web Hosting package has a specific amount of file sharing data available.
Worry-Free Uptime Reliability
The right kind of web hosts ensures that your Web hosting service remains trouble-free. They give you a peace of mind and provide you maximum uptime and automatic backup.
Open Source Applications to Customize your Website
Your Website Host should have an extensive library of open source applications including WordPress, Joomla, Gallery and much more to allow you to install any of them with just one click. This helps you to captivate and connect with your customers by easily adding blogs, wikis, forums or other applications.
Ample Disk Space and Storage
Choose a Web Hosting package which comes with plenty of disk space and bandwidth. You can start small and scale up as needed. Why? Because in future it can accommodate your business needs.
Extensive Programming Language Support
Your website hosts provide you with some of the most widely-adopted programming languages to customize your website.
Publishing Websites Through Website Builder Tool
There are some Web Hosts who, for no additional charge, provide an innovative and easy-to-use Website Builder Tool to help you quickly create a website and publish content to the Internet. You can use their tools or your software with FTP access if that’s the feature your Web hosting company allows.
Attract Website Visitors with Online Marketing
Option to attract and advertise online with additional charges is also up for grabs on many web host service providers.
A reliable web host will make sure that you get support for their services when you need it. Web support for a good web host is 24/7 and is just a phone call or email away. Most of them also have online user guides and tutorials to help you find the answers you need
Get Email Matched to Your Web Address
Some Web Hosting packages include nsMail with spam and virus protection that you can match to your nsWebAddress. You can also access your email with any program if your web host package allows the same.
Web Hosting is involved with our daily lives in more ways than one. It is one subject which wants a very detailed attentiveness. This guide talks about web hosting, its types, some of the best web hosting service providers, things to look for in your web host and what are the benefits of an ideal web host. We sincerely hope that it has cleared up some of the common confusions of hosting services. Stay tuned with us for the latest news and happenings around you and you’re now ready to sign up with the web host that best fits your upcoming site needs.