Years back when WordPress was still new in the market, people faced many problems with theme development and maintenance. That was until most WordPress plugin and frameworks came up. WordPress theme frameworks provide webmasters with the basic functionality of a theme while giving them the flexibility to design the theme’s appearance to their specifications.
It is possibly the most efficient and easy way to build Wordpress theme. So what is really WordPress theme frameworks? In this article, I will explain what is WordPress theme framework, why do people use these frameworks, advantages, and disadvantages of using frameworks.
What is WordPress theme framework?
WordPress theme framework refers to a library of code that is used to facilitate the development of a theme. They are intended to be used as parent theme templates where all the functionality is retained. From that, developers can create a child theme to which they can add custom designs while leaving the functionality aspects of it to the framework. This means that there is a centralized location where all the functionalities are hosted. In case the team of developers decides to deplore a WordPress function, or in the event, a bug is found in a specific theme framework, it becomes very easy to create an update without having to modify anything in the child theme. This allows users to keep their website framework strong and operational without modifying the way it looks.
What Kind of Framework Are We Talking About?
There are different types of WordPress theme frameworks that exist and there are a free one and the paid ones. There are drag & drop frameworks that are created to help users create everything visually without coding knowledge. There is also pseudo-drag drop WordPress theme frameworks that allow users to drag and drop pre-defined sections. Then there are those that come full of options. Lastly, there are those Wordpress theme frameworks built without clutter for developers to get a head start.
Why do people use WordPress theme frameworks?
WordPress theme frameworks speed up the development time. This is mainly because all theme frameworks offer a lot of customization options and functionality. This means the user does not have to code everything and create a theme from scratch.
Pros of Using a WordPress Framework
Now that you have known what WordPress theme framework is, let’s look at some of the advantages of using them.
1. Faster Creation Time – WordPress theme frameworks come loaded with functionality and this means whether you are a developer or not, you will have an easier time creating a customized website.
2. Better Support and Community Involvement – Apart from having a lifetime support, Wordpress framework, there is a huge community backing them compared to stand alone themes.
3. Increased Page Loading Speeds – Frameworks are not loaded with excessive graphics or codes, but are just simple codes for running a functioning WordPress site. This makes them load faster compared to stand alone themes.
4. Design Flexibility – WordPress frameworks rely on child themes giving you a wide range of design choices. In addition, many frameworks offer child themes templates thus complementing your framework and making design easier.
Cons of Using a WordPress Framework
Even with the many benefits of WordPress theme frameworks, there are still a few issues of concerns. Here are some of the disadvantages of using them on Wordpress sites.
1. Steep Learning Curve – Each WordPress theme framework is coded differently with its own set of functions. For this reason, it may take even those familiar with theme development some time to get their website looking the way they want it to look like.
2. Framework Limitations – Despite WordPress theme frameworks being more flexible and functional, they also have some limitations. Often, you will have to override core files to achieve great customization or submit a patch to be included in future updates.
3. Cost – Though there are some free WordPress theme frameworks, most of them come at a sizeable cost in form of a one-time payment.
It is arguable that WordPress theme frameworks are a popular and useful tool for Wordpress users. When it comes to site development, they provide a certain level of empowerment that you cannot get anywhere else. Even for beginners, there are frameworks that have a drag-drop interface to help them create websites using a visual interface. That is why many people prefer them over the regular themes.